Monday, July 8, 2013

The weekend: Festivals, Falls, and Floods [Days 4, 5, 6 & 7 (today)]

I had committed to practicing 1 hour per day on Friday, Saturday and Sunday and I fulfilled that short of 20 minutes on Sunday. I had a breakthrough on accenting step 3 and 7 of basic tatkar, albeit at a slow/medium speed. My turns need to be much more crisp, and I am retraining myself to turn on my heels, not on the balls of my feet.

I travelled two hours via Public transit to check out the South Asia Festival on Saturday with a friend, and it was interesting, although I could not stay long.
                                                   ( Me & Friend at South Asia Festival)
 
Sunday: Humpty Dumpty had a great practice, Humpty Dumpty visited relatives, and Humpty Dumpty had a great FALL...through a broken chair injuring her left hip/backside area with a nice pink gash, complemented with a blue/black bruise on the left arm, and both shins. Ouch.

And then, if anyone in Canada was watching the news, Toronto was a mess today! I was just hitting my first EVER notes on a tabla (in my first ever tabla class with TTE) at approximately six o'clock,  when all of a sudden all the lights of the church went out, and an emergency alarm and emergency lights went on inside! I was like, "WHAT?" Just below us, in the basement where the Kathak classes are conducted, water was coming in from everywhere! Me and some others rushed to get Joanna-di's and the belongings of other students of MDO and TTE, upstairs, away from the water. We were told to leave the church. Outside, the rain was beating the heck out of Torontonians. It took me more than 2 hours to get home as the highways flooded, and several streets were backed up.
                                                                  (view from my car)

 I've never been in an emergency flood situation, and it all happened quite fast. I prayed for all the people who were driving, in their homes, and on the streets...may you all be safe! I was then very thankful for my mother in law, who let me use her car, and I was dry inside this vehicle that was eventually going to get me to proper home and food to eat...

Not as much Kathak today, but lots of other action that's for sure...

No comments:

Post a Comment