Monday, July 15, 2013

Days 11, 12, 13, 14: Workshop, Rath Yatra, and Tabla

Friday was a real treat to see Labonee Mohanta from California come out to conduct a performance & demonstration. What an amazing dancer she is. And gorgeous too!

On Saturday I accompanied some of Joanna Di's summer session senior students to Centre Island for a performance for the Rath Yatra; Festival of India celebrations. Here are some pictures from that event.


 
One thing that I noticed during the Rath Yatra performance, and was pleased to see, was how everyone in the Rath Yatra Crew from TTE and MDO all worked together as a team and helped each other. No one ever left it upon any other ONE person to do all the work. Not to complain or anything (yeah right) but I, at several events, have often been the only one, to use Joanna Di's term, schlepping around, putting things together, collecting and gathering, setting up, taking down...my dancers often don't even think of how they could help. That's one thing my husband and family have instilled in me; how can I help others? We will all definitely be more successful if we help one another. Of course, my gratitude does go to those who have ever helped out...
 
Today, I played my first ever phrase during Tabla class with young teacher Razak from TTE. It was fun and interesting; I had an awesome time during the class. I can definitely see how playing the tabla can have a meditative effect on the body. Awesome! Of course, as I have spoken about before, from what I have learned so far in my month long journey, the marriage of Kathak to Tabla and Lahera is so crucial, and I think I would definitely like to learn at least the basics of Tabla to help me on my Kathak journey. Yay! Life long learning; that's a great way to live!
 (That's me learning to play the Tabla! Yay!)
 
TTE Beginner Tabla Class

Today, I was also part of a very very beginner Kathak class with Joanna Di (as I am taking part in all the different class currently offered); none of the students in this class had ever taken Kathak before. I haven't participated in any of the very beginner classes with Joanna Di yet, and it was a good experience. And once again, I reaffirm to you all, that Joanna Di is one of the best teachers I have ever met. She is not afraid to challenge us for the fear of us failing or doing it incorrectly; in fact we need to make the mistakes in order to learn and grow past the mistakes. I cannot explain to you all how great of a teacher she is; she makes things fun, funny, challenging and exciting, and it might be overwhelming to some, but she doesn't want you to ever feel that you can't ask questions. More than anything in this class, I paid particular attention to HOW she was teaching and conducting the class, her words, language, style, and smile! Thanks again Joanna Di for being such a great teacher. I can't wait to have you in Edmonton so you can share your knowledge and wonderful teaching strategies with us!

No comments:

Post a Comment