Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Day 1

I have barely slept in 3 weeks, and my delayed red eye flight didn't help. A mixture of bittersweet feelings have been stirring inside me for several weeks now; what will it be like? Can I afford this? Will I do well? I will miss things back home, but, this is for me...and that's okay right?

After mapping my journey to downtown Toronto where my Kathak classes are being held in the basement of a church built in 1826, I navigated the Corolla to a free parking spot and was walking up the path when Joanna Di happened to open the door and we finally met after almost 12 months of email communication. She is a small lady with a big welcoming smile and strong eyes. I am nervous and excited. A black cat named Dragon has Joanna Di briefly occupied as she finds a way to keep him out of our way (as she is now aware I'm not very comfortable around cats and dogs).

She welcomes me, we chat, and off we go on a dance journey. The neck, back, knee and foot pain I've been experiencing the past 2-8 years crosses my mind, but I take a breath each time, and try hard to focus on the movements she is teaching me. We discuss theory, counting and bol patterns, and somehow, that which was hidden in my bones, old Kathak lessons that I learned in my youth and teen years, are very slowly creeping into my bloodstream and pouring out of my pores in sweat.

I am not perfect, nor do I intend to be; what I intend to be is a student for life; I can always be better and I can always be learning. Kathak is the dance that started my dance career, and I have so much more yet to accomplish! Thanks to each and every person along the way, parents, friends, family, previous gurus, and my husband for contributing to this journey!
 
 

2 comments:

  1. You are SUCH an inspiration, Ash! I am so proud of you and everything you have (and are continuing to) accomplish! Love you big sis :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dearest little sis,
      Thank you for your comment and for encouraging me. Thank you for taking the time to make me feel that what I'm doing is worthwhile. I love you too, little sis :)

      Delete