Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Day 2: Moving the body just isn't good enough...

Today was 1 class, yoga (wonderfully taught by Melissa) then 2 more classes. Two things that I find can give a person great body awareness is Yoga and Dance.

Tatkar = today. And, I have to say, today was the first time I was ever, in my life-- EVER-- , thrilled about doing footwork! And it's not about the footwork itself, it was about the challenging variations of footwork that I haven't done before -- that was thrilling.  I have enjoyed doing footwork in the past knowing that doing repetitive footwork is a major component of learning Kathak, but today I didn't just enjoy it, I was thrilled. Joanna De Souza is an amazing teacher. An amazing dancer, absolutely, but an even more amazing teacher! Wow! She really believes in her students; that they can do it! That this dance doesn't belong to anyone, it's everyone's dance! That it's there to take, to learn, to absorb. Awesome. She has more knowledge about Kathak than anyone I have met so far in my life-time. And she doesn't hesitate to share it with her students. In only two days, I have learned so much more of the theory, the terminology, the protocol, and the codification of Kathak then I knew before I arrived here. I am also learning how important the marriage of tabla and Kathak is; sometimes we recite tabla bol as we do footwork.

In the last class, Joanna Di said some very inspiring and encouraging words as she showed magnificent variations of tatkar (footwork). I was so engrossed that I forgot I could've have videotaped it!


From Joanna Di...
               When you are ready to pack it in, and quit...that's exactly when you need discipline to keep practicing, practicing, practicing enough...to just get through that tough time, that challenge that seems insurmountable...a dancer needs confidence, direction, and passion.

Today was a great day of tatkar for me!

Kathak is more mentally challenging for me than any dance form I have ever learned. I would recommend everyone learn classical dancing; I always say to my students, dancing is more than just moving the body, it is mental, and emotional too; moving the body just isn't good enough:

No comments:

Post a Comment