Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Day 15: Business and Tekha

I am sure not many people are aware that while I am here, seemingly surrounding myself with Kathak, that I am also managing an existing business back home in Edmonton, incorporating a new business, and setting up a non-profit organization at the same time. I spent a good chunk of my day before and after classes today, calling and emailing lawyers, landlords, and people who want more money. Not to mention dealing with instructors, students and other clients...

Anyhow, a little part of my spirits lifted today, that made me flutter inside and that was the fact that my ability to find where we are exactly in the tekha (bol used by tabla players) in a particular melody,  is improving! That is so exciting for me considering two weeks ago I didn't know how to do that! Joanna Di is my FOURTH Kathak teacher, and none of my previous teachers taught me how to do this! I still have trouble reciting some of the Kathak bols while counting the Tekha on my hands/arms (as it is done), but I know it will come! I can only get better. Its amazing how CRUCIAL this counting and reciting is to actually practicing Kathak. Reciting the Kathak bol as I dance is actually helping in several ways:

1) To be rooted in the movement
2) To know where I am in the cycle of beats
3) To understand how the melody fits in with the movements
4) To understand how the movements fit in with the tekha

Also, I learned some hastaks (hand getstures) that were never taught to me before in the manner that Joanna Di taught them to me. In the past, teachers have kind of just said, "okay do this with your hand." And I was expected to do it; it wasn't really an exercise developed for learning Kathak, it was simply something that was done. What I love about Joanna Di's teaching is she taught the hastaks as an exercise to be done in class (and at home); we moved our fingers, hands, wrists, and forearms in rhythm with the lahera (melody). When someone takes the time and effort to teach it in a way that is rhythmically pleasing to the body, it makes you want to practice it at home; as I was doing the hastaks in class, I was already envisioning myself practicing the hastaks at home. Its not only what you learn, but how its taught to you that can make a really big difference!

One of the "teaching" aspects I've seen Joanna Di exhibit is her love for Kathak. She approaches her movements with such love. Its really beautiful if you can recognize this love. Its not obvious (and its not meant to be). But her love for this art shows in how she teaches us.

No comments:

Post a Comment