Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Day 16: Psychology, Rupak and Heat

The Sensitive Entrepreneur's Emotional Rescue (read out loud when needed, and breathe deeply):

I am a person who does what I say I will do.

I have integrity.

I am genuine and honest.

I am a good person and I don’t have any bad or negative intentions.

I provide the best service I possibly can.

I give 100% effort when I do anything.
 
I am learning and growing every day.

It is impossible to make everyone happy.

There are situations that might not be ideal, and there are situations that might not be in my control, and I accept and honor that.

I know who I am as a person and I know my truth.

I forgive myself for my mistakes, and I learn how not to repeat it.

I am strong, focused, determined, helpful, happy and outgoing.

My business will grow and I will be successful.

Clients don't see the whole picture, and you can't blame them for that. They come to your place of business seeking something for themselves. There was an incident today back home that caused a client to be dissatisfied; it was no one's fault really, it was just the way things happened. I will be honest, I am a pretty sensitive person, so I end up taking things personally sometimes. But other times, clients do come right out and attack my character and that really sucks. But, as a business owner, it comes with the territory. This stuff didn't used bother me as much as it does now...I think its because for the past 2 years I've been working my a** off and trust me, being the "boss" can be a pretty thankless job sometimes, and having no superiors makes it a mentor-less job too -- anyways, I think this stuff gets to me more quickly and deeply than before due to my stress levels, and the fact that I temporarily feel like a failure when things go wrong after I feel I've been working so hard...

So I Googled "Why do I cry when someone hurts my character" and I found some information from a Psychologist's website, and although this particular article refers to a relationship, there were some things that hit home with me...

"First of all, you can't become less sensitive. Sensitivity is an intrinsic part of your nature. But you can become less reactive, and that means learning not to take things so personally.

I believe that sensitive people have a special spiritual mission to use their gift of sensitivity to make the world a better place. Sensitive people are gifted with empathy and creative imagination. At their best, a sensitive person is a sympathetic friend, a skilled diplomat, fun, and charming to be around. At their worst, they can be moody, dramatic, over-reactive, and blaming.

In childhood, a sensitive child needs to be supported, not shamed, when they are easily overwhelmed by their feelings. Unfortunately, these vulnerable individuals are often not brought up with the understanding and delicate discipline they need. Instead they are punished and ridiculed for their sensitivity, making them feel ashamed. If you add any abandonment or abuse to their lives, then their sensitivity becomes warped - touchy, moody, dramatic, acting out...

 The next time you feel emotional - hurt, ashamed, afraid, or angry...take the time to follow the following five steps before you act out...:


1. Understand that most people around you do not intend to hurt your feelings...
2. Realize that people are being themselves, which might not always sit well with you...
3. Understand that you project negative intentions onto others' thoughts and behaviors. I have a statistic, which I use with my clients. It's a 100 percent statistic, which is rare at any time, certainly in the area of human behavior. Whenever any of my clients tells me they are afraid of what I'm thinking, 100 percent of the time they believe it's negative, and 100 percent of the time they're wrong. I'm never thinking the negative thing about them that they think I am. This statistic has lasted for over fifteen years. Catch yourself when you project your negative thoughts about yourself onto other people. (OMG, I do this a lot...things that go way back to childhood right here...I often assume others are thinking negative about me when they are 100% not -- this is a self-confidence or some other "self-" thing for sure...)
4. Remember that 80 to 90 percent of the intensity of your feelings is caused by old wounds...
...and Debra Holland goes on in a web posting (http://www.drdebraholland.com/archives/ask_march.html)

Okay, that was business for today. Sorry Kathak followers, for my tangent...

Today I gained an introduction to Rupak, a tekha cycle containing 7 beats. It was interesting and challenging. I will have to develop my muscle memory for this new Kathak movement by practicing this. But the intense heat in Toronto today caused me to be a little foggy brained...there were some Intense Heat warnings issued in Toronto, and where we practice, we don't have AC or too much in the way of ventilation...my cheeks were flushed, sweat was pouring down my back, but practicing in these conditions can help me build my stamina.

No comments:

Post a Comment